Tuesday, July 14, 2009

HDTV Antenna Arrived

My new HDTV antenna arrived and I was able to test the signal in my area. At first I was only getting one channel when I had it low to the ground. Once I place it at another window and at a higher level I got 4 digital HDTV channels and 16 regular channels. That's 20 channels for free without a bill from the cable company. In addition to all the stations I get online. In total with the antenna and the stations online that's about 100 free channels to pick from. There are also many free video on demand service and video content that I won't count as a station. Now the next step for my free cable project is getting a dedicated PC for video streaming. There are a few small PC's running Windows XP and the Intel Atom chip. These are like the netbooks, but have a little more power and cost in the $250 to $400 range. With one of these computer hooked up to the TV I would be able to stream and play back almost any media type. The prices of these PC's will be dropping as more companies come into the market I will keep looking for the best deal. In the meantime I have more TV to watch then ever before and it's all free.

No comments:

Post a Comment